Raen Winery

Cuvée Royal St. Robert Sonoma Coast Pinot Noir

9.122 ratings
9.29 pro ratings
Sonoma Coast, Sonoma County, California, USA
Pinot Noir
Turkey, Game, Exotic Spices, Soft Cheese, Duck, Goose, Salads & Greens, Potato, Quinoa, Farro, Brown Rice, White Rice, Pasta, Herbs, Nuts & Seeds, Mushrooms, Chicken, Meaty & Oily Fish, Shellfish, Crab & Lobster, Stew, Onion, Shallot, Garlic, Salami & Prosciutto, Salmon, Quinoa, Shellfish
Top Notes For
Sipping Fine Wine

Royal St. Robert Cuvee named in honor of Dante and Carlo Mondavi's grandfather who taught them to be committed to excellence. Medium Ruby with aromas of fresh berry fruits, smoke and soft floral notes. On the palate flavors of strawberry and raspberry with smoky oak and herb floral notes. Fine tannins, long finish ending with earthy herb notes. Very nice! Has room to age.

Royal St. Robert Cuvee named in honor of Dante and Carlo Mondavi's grandfather who taught them to be committed to excellence. Medium Ruby with aromas of fresh berry fruits, smoke and soft floral notes. On the palate flavors of strawberry and raspberry with smoky oak and herb floral notes. Fine tannins, long finish ending with earthy herb notes. Very nice! Has room to age.

May 24th, 2020
Paul Mabray

Founder VinTank

9.0

Solid, solid, solid Pinot. Bright cherry throughout.

Solid, solid, solid Pinot. Bright cherry throughout.

Oct 13th, 2018
Mitzi Inglis

Marketing/Public Relations, Joseph Phelps Vineyards

9.1

Bright and fresh.

Bright and fresh.

Sep 27th, 2018
Greg Ballington

Co-Founder of Millennial Drinkers Wine Blog

9.2

Medium to light mix of garnet and ruby red. Layered nose with rhubarb, twigs, very floral, cherries and a little toasty. Medium plus acidity (7/10) and light plus body. Builds up a bit on the palate in weight with notes of strawberries, raspberries, earthiness, and a little leather. Long finish while keeping the acidity and balance together. Drink till 2028. (92+)

Made up of 100% Pinot Noir from the Sonoma Coast AVA near the Bodega Bay. Aged in 10% new French oak (four year, air dried) and 90% neutral French oak barrels. Additionally, this bottling goes through extended maceration and is 80% whole cluster pressed.

Medium to light mix of garnet and ruby red. Layered nose with rhubarb, twigs, very floral, cherries and a little toasty. Medium plus acidity (7/10) and light plus body. Builds up a bit on the palate in weight with notes of strawberries, raspberries, earthiness, and a little leather. Long finish while keeping the acidity and balance together. Drink till 2028. (92+)

Made up of 100% Pinot Noir from the Sonoma Coast AVA near the Bodega Bay. Aged in 10% new French oak (four year, air dried) and 90% neutral French oak barrels. Additionally, this bottling goes through extended maceration and is 80% whole cluster pressed.

Apr 4th, 2018
Joe D'Angelo

The 2016 'Royal St. Robert' is a gorgeous wine from Carlo and Dante Mondavi which is a dedication to their grandfather, Robert Mondavi. The Pinot Noir is 80% whole cluster with native fermentation and aged in a combination of 10% new, four-year air-dried French oak and 90% neutral French oak barrels before being bottled without fining or filtration. The wine itself is absolutely gorgeous as it begins with aromas of ripe strawberries and raspberries along with floral, spices, wet stones, blood orange and hints of tea leaf nuances all taking shape. This continues to impress with its fabulous medium body and beautiful fine, delicate tannins. Balanced and focused, this remains remarkably pure and persice though the silky finish. Overall, this is a fantastic wine which is already drinking remarkably well, but should also continue to develop with time.

The 2016 'Royal St. Robert' is a gorgeous wine from Carlo and Dante Mondavi which is a dedication to their grandfather, Robert Mondavi. The Pinot Noir is 80% whole cluster with native fermentation and aged in a combination of 10% new, four-year air-dried French oak and 90% neutral French oak barrels before being bottled without fining or filtration. The wine itself is absolutely gorgeous as it begins with aromas of ripe strawberries and raspberries along with floral, spices, wet stones, blood orange and hints of tea leaf nuances all taking shape. This continues to impress with its fabulous medium body and beautiful fine, delicate tannins. Balanced and focused, this remains remarkably pure and persice though the silky finish. Overall, this is a fantastic wine which is already drinking remarkably well, but should also continue to develop with time.

1 person found it helpfulJul 10th, 2019
Peter Hladun

Pretty Pinot!

Pretty Pinot!

Jan 27th, 2020
Mary Rossillo

Very complex nose of baking spice, black tea, dried cherry and strawberry, nice tannic structure that will improve and smoothen with time

Very complex nose of baking spice, black tea, dried cherry and strawberry, nice tannic structure that will improve and smoothen with time

Feb 20th, 2019
Anna Sangiacomo

Magnum~ this wine is dedicated to their grandfather Robert Mondavi, who taught them to be committed to excellence. Love how they have honored him. Wild strawberries, crushed bing cherries, and rose petals. The texture is Rich, complex and leads to a long sumptuous finish

Magnum~ this wine is dedicated to their grandfather Robert Mondavi, who taught them to be committed to excellence. Love how they have honored him. Wild strawberries, crushed bing cherries, and rose petals. The texture is Rich, complex and leads to a long sumptuous finish

Sep 2nd, 2018
Beth Novak Milliken

Raspberries with that beautiful forest floor, nice complexity, fresh, well balanced.

Raspberries with that beautiful forest floor, nice complexity, fresh, well balanced.

Jan 25th, 2019
Evelyn Ignatow

Owner, Hyde Park Gourmet Food & Wine

9.3

Evelyn had this a year ago

Evelyn had this a year ago

Mar 6th, 2020